MENTORING + WORKSHOPS
You love photography and so do I.
I thoroughly enjoy making my own photographs but I have always loved working with photographers, from editing to teaching and mentoring. I am very pleased to offer one-on-one mentoring sessions, photography workshops and individual editing sessions, for photographers at all levels from beginner to advanced.
My background in photography is extensive and diverse. In addition to being a fine art and documentary photographer, my experience includes working as a newspaper photographer and a magazine picture editor. I was a picture editor on staff at both People and Time Magazine, and freelanced at The New York Times, Newsweek and Fortune. I'm also a book designer: I have created numerous award-winning photobooks for myself and for clients over the past 10 years.
My one-on-one mentoring is geared to suit your needs, whether you're just starting to think more seriously about your images or you are a practiced photographer. We will work together to discuss your goals and your future as a photographer. Our meetings can be in person or online, through video conferencing. I work with clients locally and have some who are as far away as Manila and Miami. I’m here for you, no matter where you are based. Sign up for a series or single classes; whatever best fits your schedule. These 1 to 2-hour sessions can be just for you or semi-private, so you can enjoy learning with a friend or colleague.
DSLR Basics One-on-One: Together we will break down how to utilize your camera to its fullest and make the most of your potential as a photographer. Let’s turn the dial and get you out of AUTO mode! We will cover the DSLR basics: menu settings, exposure (aperture, shutter and ISO), camera modes, lenses, metering, flash techniques and composition. Assignments will be given and we will review your new photographs in subsequent sessions. All of this will help you to become more comfortable using your DSLR in manual mode - - one frame at a time.
Intermediate to advanced photographers:
• Got an idea for a current or future project? Run it by me. I can help you to plan your project and maximize your time spent photographing.
• Editing and sequencing is tough! I can help you to edit and sequence your projects and will explain in detail how, and why, I made my selections.
• Want to learn how to create impactful, photo-driven books? I can offer guidance on how to self-publish your photobook, from purposeful editing to thoughtful layout and design.
• Post-processing can be complicated. Let’s figure out how to make the most of your photographs by understanding how to post-process your images in Lightroom and Photoshop.
• Trying to develop your vision and point of view? I can help you to refine your technique and to develop your very own personal way of picturing the world.
• Ready to share your photos with the world? I can also offer guidance on seeking exhibition opportunities, printing and framing, preparing for a portfolio review and creating a well-organized and dynamic website.
These workshops are geared for photographers who reside within the Tri-state area. We meet in my home, for six, 2-hour sessions with a maximum of 8 participants.
DSLR Basics Workshop: Similar to the one-on-one mentoring (see above) but taught in a group setting. Topics will include: menu settings, exposure (aperture, shutter and ISO), camera modes, lenses, metering, flash techniques and composition. Participants are expected to do assignments weekly and have new images to share in subsequent sessions. The only way to really learn how to use a DSLR is to use it - - and to use it often.
The Everyday Narrative, intermediate photography salon: This workshop focuses on documenting the everyday and going deeper to make more meaningful images of our immediate surroundings. We’ll go beyond the posed and more traditional styles of photography and delve into how to make poignant images of real life. Participants will receive personalized assignments and experience group critique and encouragement at each session. In addition, we’ll discuss and be inspired by photographers who are working within the domestic and everyday documentary genres. Participants need to have a basic understanding of how to use a DSLR in modes other than AUTO.
Please email me at email@example.com for scheduling and pricing information. Teen sessions also available.